[drupal-devel] promote to frontpage: confusing.

Gabor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Tue Mar 8 10:24:43 UTC 2005

> -1 for this change - UNLESS there is empirical data to suggest that the
> majority of Drupal installs do not use the default front page (i.e. they
> use something else).
>
> "Promote to front page" is not confusing in any way.  And if someone is
> advanced enough to change their front page, I think they would
> understand that "Promote to front page" means "Promote to the page that
> is normally the front page."

Problem is that the one who sets up the page is not the same who uses.
The majority of Drupal users are not those who had set it up themselfs,
as far as I guess... If I deploy a Drupal installation to some client,
he will not know that he is not seeing the default homepage...

> The real solution is to test what the default front page is (perhaps
> even create and store a new flag) and change the wording of the option
> box based on that.
>
> Pseudo code:
>
> If($default_front_page) {
>     form_checkboxes(t('Promote to front page') /*MORE CODE*/);
> }
> else {
>     form_checkboxes(t('Is Headline') /*MORE CODE*/);
> }
>
> Long story short - The cons of the proposed change AS IS outweigh the pros.

This might work indeed.

Goba