[drupal-devel] HTMLArea is dead, long live rich text editing

Gordon Heydon gordon at heydon.com.au
Tue Mar 8 22:17:50 UTC 2005

Hello,

* Boris Mann (borismann at gmail.com) wrote:
> I wrote up something in the forums about this: http://drupal.org/node/18567
>
> Key points:
> * HTMLArea external "community" is shut down

I would have to agree here,

> * HTMLArea is under a modified BSD license, so should prob. be removed
> from contrib (just the HTMLArea part, not the Drupal module)

As apart of the 4.6 release I am going to be removing HTMLArea from cvs.

> * get in touch if you want to further develop rich text editing in
> Drupal, likely to be based on FCKEditor

Even though the HTMLArea project has effectively stopped, a fork of the
project has been started called Xinha, which I am actively in the
process of making the required changes to enable this fork to work. It
has had alot of bugs fixed, and is much more reliable that HTMLArea ever
was.

I am not far from doing this, but I just want to make sure that not
having a version of HTMLArea present in the distribution will not cause
too many problems.

I am hoping this to happen in the next week, I am very close to getting
it complete.
--
Gordon Heydon <gordon at heydon.com.au>