[drupal-devel] caching issues

Jeremy Andrews jeremy at kerneltrap.org
Wed Mar 9 13:24:17 UTC 2005

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 08:12:59 -0500
Moshe Weitzman <weitzman at tejasa.com> wrote:

[...]

> forgive my ignorance, but would it not solve the problem to disable
> anonymous commenting? surely these spiders don't check their email and
> get new passwords that way ... I know that some sites really really
> want anonymous commenting, but I think spammers have ruined that. There
> are so many other benefits to being a logged in user.
>
> i don't really want to debate the merits of anonymous commenting, just
> wondering if my proposal is sufficient.

Yes and no.  Yes, this most recent flood I suffered would have been
prevented by disabling anonymous commenting.  No, spammers have registered
user accounts on my site before and used them to post spam, so even with
anonymous commenting disabled it would be possible to get spammed.  That
said, it is much easier to control offending user accounts...

Regardless, disabling anonymous comments is not an option for me.  A
significant portion of my content comes from anonymous comments.

-Jeremy