[drupal-devel] Why is there no designation between hooks and private functions in a module?

Bèr Kessels berdrupal at tiscali.be
Mon Mar 14 12:47:43 UTC 2005

I am not sure if its just me, but I unbderstand nothing of your proposal.
Could you rephrase this in a differnet, easier way? Remember that probably non
of us use macromedea developement IDEs.

Also remember that the APIs, Theme and hooks are not maintained as backwards
compatible, when we can achieve improvments by not providing that backwards
compatibility. This is one of the main "features" of Drupal, something which
has brought us wherre we are now. So chances we will become "fully backwards
compatible", code-wise are nearly non-existant.

Bèr

Op zaterdag 12 maart 2005 16:53, schreef Carl McDade:
> Maybe gotten spoiled from working with Macromedia products where
> everything in the core API is set with MM, but why is there no
> designation between drupal hook functions and private functions?
> Checking the docs is not useful especially given that the api changes so
> often. Frequent changes are also the reason that memorization  does not
> work. Marking core hooks and other would not cost anything and would
> help in the creation and maintenance of contributed modules.
>
> Changing:
> function mymodule_validate(&$node) {
>
> To:
> function mymodule_dh_validate(&$node) {
>

> Or:
> function mymodule_validate_dh(&$node) {
>

> _dh being the core designation would make th process of updating a
> module easier also.
>
> This might be a solution to a naming problem also in that all core code
> must start with the designation. So anything after that can be used
> including the underscore character.
>
> Changing the hook invoke code has to be done but from the looks of it
> this is not a big change.
>
> Carl McDade
Regards,
 Bèr