[drupal-devel] subsite - sharing codebase - doesn't work as expected

Ross Kendall drupal at rosskendall.com
Wed Mar 16 01:07:09 UTC 2005

Is it just me?

Drupal doesn't seem to be picking up 'settings.php' files for
subdirectories...

I hadn't really used the multiple 'settings.php' ability, so I thought I
would give it a test out by trying to set up a main drupal site, with a
subsite that shared the Drupal codebase, (and the database tables for
sharing users).

This didn't work as expected.  In fact Drupal did not want to recognise
a 'settings.php' file for a subdirectory of the main site.

My test is here:
http://drupal-test.rosskendall.com/ (plain CVS install - done today)
which uses 'sites/drupal-test.rosskendall.com/settings.php'

However, when I create this settings file:
'sites/drupal-test.rosskendall.com.subsite2/settings.php'
in an attempt to create a separate Drupal site that uses the same
codebase, here:
http://drupal-test.rosskendall.com/subsite2/
...it does not even recognise the settings file.

Obviously I'm not very familiar with this feature, but I do suspect that
something is broken, because it does not do 'what it says on the can'.

Any insights? Or can anyone confirm this is not working as it should?

Cheers,
Ross.