[drupal-devel] Core Folksonomy: Not Ready for term_node.uid?

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Thu Mar 17 14:42:03 UTC 2005

>> What's the alternative? The above layout is the only way I can think
>> that multiple users can assign multiple tids to a node, regardless
>> whether they created it or not.
>
> Well, I'd maintain (nid, tid) as unique. I do not see why users should be
> allowed to assign tags that other users allready assigned to the same

Because that's the user-centric way to do it!

Imagine a "My Tags" feature. Now, say you and I have very similar ways of
thinking. When a node talks about cats, you put in "tuna fish". When a
node talks about the phone, you put in "abomination". We've got, for the
sake of argument, the following:

    nid about phones  | tid for abomination | uid for killes
    nid about cats    | tid for tuna fish   | uid for killes

Fine, no problem. When I click on the "Killes' Tags" link, I'll see the
above associations, and I laugh: they're exactly what I would have used!

Now, in the case of an image gallery, I'd like to add this cat node to "My
Albums" (or whatever - work with me here). I click "Add To Album", and I'm
now working with My Albums, My Pictures, My Tags - not Killes' Tags,
Killes' Albums or Killes' Pictures. I feel that you forgot "lick" for a
tag. How dare you forget that "tuna fish" and "lick" go together! If
I'm/me/Morbus is going to remember or tag this node, it absolutely must
have "lick"! So, on this "Add To Album" screen, I'm now editing "My Tags"
for the node. I type in "tuna fish" (because this is "My Tags" not
"Killes' Tags") and I type in "lick". I click "Save". Great! Following
along with your desires, we now have:

    nid about phones  | tid for abomination | uid for killes
    nid about cats    | tid for tuna fish   | uid for killes
    nid about cats    | tid for lick        | uid for morbus

What happens when someone clicks on "Morbus' Tags"? With the above layout,
they're ONLY going to see "lick". But, but, that's not right! I "assigned"
this node "tuna fish" and "lick"! What happened to "my" tag "tuna fish"?
In essence, "My Tags" becomes "Unique Tags I've Assigned To A Node".
That's not how a folksonomy works (remember, "folks" == "users" ==
"user-centric") (and yeah, I realize that  you know nothing about
delicious, so no worries). Here's a visual sample at delicious:

  # all the URLs that user Qbic has assigned to design.
  http://del.icio.us/Qbic/design

  # all the users & tags that have annotated a particular URL.
  http://del.icio.us/url/e7f5da77d30e4fe7ae5bc895b393e724

See all repeated 'design' tags here? A user-centric folksonomy (where the
"user" is the "folk[s]" in "folksonomy") revolves around /the user and
THEIR choice of tags for a node/, not /the uniqueness of tags per a node/.
It doesn't matter that you have already assigned "tuna fish". It matters
that you AND I have, however. The more people who assign "tuna fish" to a
node about cats, the stronger the association. An assertion can be made:
"43 people think this node can be represented with the tag 'tuna fish'".

Your approach doesn't allow this.

--
Morbus Iff ( you are nothing without your robot car, NOTHING! )
Spidering Hacks: http://amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596005776/disobeycom