[drupal-devel] Drupal 4.6 update

Dries Buytaert dries at buytaert.net
Tue Mar 22 18:18:48 UTC 2005

Hello world,

some important updates on the Drupal 4.6 release process.  Either
tonight or tomorrow I'm going to create the DRUPAL-4-6 branch for core.
   Clearly, this has a number of implications:

1. The newly created DRUPAL-4-6 branch will go into "maintenance mode".
  This means that I'll be more strict as to what gets committed.

2. At the same time, Drupal HEAD will be opened up for development!
This means I'll begin committing larger patches and new features.  Dust
off your editors and repeat after me: "Yay!".

3. I will not commit "intrusive patches" (like the node revision patch)
until Drupal 4.6 is released.  Breaking APIs during the release process
would complicate the life of those who are in the process of preparing
their contributions for use with Drupal 4.6.   Fortunately, only a few
patches qualify as being "intrusive".  Unfortunately these patches will
have to be maintained for another week or two.

4. If you promised to provide one or more improvements for inclusion in
DRUPAL-4-6, you better be quick, or you might have to provide two
versions of your patch -- one against HEAD and one against DRUPAL-4-6.

5. I don't know when Drupal 4.6 will be released, but as hinted above,
I will take at least another week or two (I'll be traveling next week).
  If all goes well, Drupal 4.6 should be released in the beginning of
April.

6. We could do with a "Bugfix Friday" -- or some other concentrated
effort to resolve a number of bugs filed against DRUPAL-4-6.  I won't
be around on Friday but maybe someone else wants to take a lead in
organizing this.  If anything, please help look at the (critical) bug
reports.