[drupal-devel] taxonomy nice URLs

Julian Bond julian_bond at voidstar.com
Wed Mar 23 17:53:18 UTC 2005

Moshe Weitzman <weitzman at tejasa.com> Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:11:00
>can we not keep on supporting the existing, non ambigous urls. these
>urls are great, but not appropriate for certain links. also, some
>people insist on localizing their links which is insanity but there you
>go ...

I'm not sure what to say here. The whole REST world is moving towards
meaningful URLs, and they have a big advantage in that a 3rd party
system can create them speculatively, so as long as I know the scheme I
can construct
http://www.drupal.org/taxonomy/vterm/tags/photo without knowing if
"photo" is used or not. The other factor is that Technorati tags uses
the final directory (/photo) to scrape the tag information out. With
every folksonomy scheme doing the same thing so that they can be
compatible with technorati. Similarly with things like Wikipedia. eg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Horses

I don't want to break the existing Drupal scheme. But I do want to use a
text based URL scheme as well. This was one of the reasons why I started
building this entirely in contrib and adding extra links to the node so
that folksonomy was entirely separate from taxonomy both in the code and
in the UI.

Julian Bond Email&MSM: julian.bond at voidstar.com
Webmaster:                 http://www.ecademy.com/
Personal WebLog:          http://www.voidstar.com/
M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173      T: +44 (0)192 0412 433
S: callto://julian.bond/