[drupal-devel] [feature] Pass include and exclude parameters to cron.php for fine grained cron timing

robertDouglass drupal-devel at drupal.org
Thu Mar 24 07:32:34 UTC 2005

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    base system
 Category:     feature requests

Whether or not this "complexity" is needed depends a lot on what you
expect to do with cron. As soon as one starts aggregating not tens but
several hundred RSS feeds or more, it is impossible to run cron every 2
minutes. Yet if the site depends on mailhandler keeping user moblog
submissions current, 2 minutes is already about the maximum latency
time acceptable. Thus the need for crons on different schedules.
In terms of usage, writing
  ?include=mailhandler,search,event
isn't so complex. On the code level, splitting that list on comma and
looping over the resultant array also isn't really that complex. The
patch defaults to normal behavior for people who don't need the
feature, and I've seen more than one site that had to solve this
problem.

robertDouglass

Previous comments:

March 20, 2005 - 11:08 : robertDouglass

Some sites need fine grained timing for cron runs. For example, a site
that relies heavily on moblogging, mailhandler or any other email based
function would want to connect with the email server pretty often, say
ever 2-5 minutes. On another site I'm working on we generate flat files
for all of a certain node type on a regular basis, though not every 2-5
minutes. Thus the need for cron tasks on different schedules. This
patch allows you to make a list of modules to either include or exclude
when running cron, so that several cron tasks for one site can be
defined. The default behavior in the absence of both parameters is to
run all, so the patch preserves backwards compatibility.
 * Examples:
 *
 * runs all hooks
 * http://mysite.com/cron.php
 *
 * runs all hooks except the search and aggregator modules
 * http://mysite.com/cron.php?exclude=search,aggregator
 *
 * runs only search, archive and aggregator modules
 * http://mysite.com/cron.php?includ=search,archive,aggregator

March 23, 2005 - 22:23 : Dries

Isn't it possible to run all cron functions every 2-5 minutes?  The
impact of that should be minimal.

March 23, 2005 - 22:33 : moshe weitzman

an alternative approach is to make a quick PHP page which simply calls
mailhandler_cron and any others that need to be called more frequently
than normal. then call that php page from cron every couple minutes ...
not so sure this complexity is worth having.