[drupal-devel] Dynamic Text Replacement

Steven Wittens steven at acko.net
Thu Mar 24 23:16:05 UTC 2005

Solon wrote:

>> On Wednesday 23 March 2005 07.52, Solon wrote:
>>
>>> I plan on making themes with 'fancy' or non standard fonts. The only
>>> other practical way, opposed to CSS is to use PHP and GD, to replace
>>> the text with images.
>>

>> The best way I know of is using JS, CSS and Flash, called sIFR:
>>
>> http://www.mikeindustries.com/blog/archive/2004/08/sifr
>>
>> This works nicely and also degrades nicely.
>>

> This method is dependant on flash, while the other is PHP. I feel that
> the one that runs PHP is more practical because it can be integrated
> easily with Drupal, and will be compatible with all users who run
> Drupal. With flash, it throws another requirement in the mix, and I
> feel, at a users end, it will be much better to use the PHP file.
>
> Any ideas on how to implement it?

sIFR is dead easy to implement as it can all be done in the theme. You
simply include the .js file in header, decide which elements you want to
sIFRize, and add a simple statement with a CSS selector (e.g. "#main h1"
or ".comment h3"). Making the .swf file is very easy (just check the
sIFR website for help). There are a couple things to watch out for, but
really it's all been documented and commented on.

Oh and note that sIFR should handle UTF-8 / Unicode appropriately, which
is another hurdle when you want to use GD. As far as I know, GD and
Unicode text output don't mix.

Steven Wittens