[drupal-devel] [feature] new status for comments should be tracked separately from status for node

leafish_dylan drupal-devel at drupal.org
Fri Mar 25 01:17:21 UTC 2005

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    comment.module
 Category:     feature requests

This is still causing problems for my users, as only comments on the
first page are flagged as new. Has anybody tried to fix this?

leafish_dylan

Previous comments:

March 11, 2004 - 02:46 : jik

Right now, when you view a node all of its new comments are suddenly
treated as no longer new.  This makes it essentially impossible to keep
track of which comments on a node you've already seen.  The status of a
comment, i.e., whether you've seen it or not, should be independent of
the status of the node.

March 11, 2004 - 05:32 : jik

The attached patch for your evaluation implements this functionality.
The one aspect of the patch that I'm concerned about is that I chose to
implement the "read comments" table using ranges rather than recording a
single comment in each row, to keep the size of the table small.  My
concern is that since I'm using ranges, hashes can't be used directly
to search the table, so performance will be bad when it gets large.

March 11, 2004 - 06:14 : jik

Here's a better patch for comment.module.  The rest of my last patch
remains unchanged.

March 15, 2004 - 02:57 : jik

Here's a new patch against 4.4.0-rc, which also incorporates my patches
for forums list should show new comments [1] and add new \"new
expanded\" comment display modes [2], since they are all interrelated
and it's too hard to separate them now that I've ported all my patches
to 4.4.0-rc.
[1] http://drupal.org//node/view/6370
[2] http://drupal.org//node/view/6376

March 15, 2004 - 15:10 : jik

Found a bug.  Here's an additional patch on top of the last one.

March 15, 2004 - 16:41 : jik

Another bug.  When I added code for purging old entries from
comments_history, I forgot to take that into account in comment_num_new
and comment_is_new.  Patch attached.

March 17, 2004 - 18:36 : jik

Another patch, to make it possible to view a comment without marking it
read.  We use this to display unpublished comments for moderators so
that they can approve comments without changing the system's indication
of whether they've read them (so they can easily read them in context
later).

March 17, 2004 - 18:37 : jik

Another patch.  This is just a bit of paranoia in the code that removes
old entries from the comment history.

March 17, 2004 - 18:45 : jik

Yet another patch.  Shouldn't try to mark a comment read if the comment
ID is 0 (i.e., we're previewing a comment that doesn't exist yet!)

March 17, 2004 - 19:05 : jik

Yet another patch to fix a precedence error in an SQL statement.

March 18, 2004 - 04:04 : moshe weitzman

The policy here is that the latest patch in the issue should be
complete. A reviewer will not look at all the patches posted and figure
out which ones add up to the functionality desired.
Furthermore, when one posts more than a few patches for the same issue,
he may give the reviewer the impression that he is not properly testing
his code before upload. reputation is key in getting the
attention/trust of the review team.