[drupal-devel] [feature] Dependency system to solve forum without comment problem

mystavash at animecards.org mystavash at animecards.org
Sat Mar 26 15:33:37 UTC 2005

Someone called?  ;)

Let me get this straight...  This all started because the forums muck up without
the comments module enabled, so ya'll thought of an idea to deal with modules
that depend on each other in one fell swoop.  I'm sure you already know what
you'll do if that module isn't preinstalled, or if it is, but the additional
tables haven't been added.  I have faith.  ;)

?  Doesn't this message read wrong?  Aren't you enabling a module automatically
because the module the user tried to install required it?  Let's say Y requires
X, and you try to install Y.  After installing/or during the installation of Y,
you get this message 'X module has been enabled for you because Y needs it to
work properly.  There may be new permissions and settings available for X module.'

I think that is about as far as you can take that...  As I understand it, it's
one of those notifications you see on the top of a page, right?  You do want to
consider that this probably comes as a suprise to the user.  You've done
something they didn't ask you to do.  :)

This is a service, not a HAL takeover, so 'enabled for you' makes it sound
nicer.  :)

It'd be even nicer if permissions and settings could be links, but I am not sure
where in the process the user will be at the time this notification is
displayed, and when you make more than one link, they might hit the back button
and muck up something.  :)

I hope that helps.  Not sure it does.  I don't really have a visual fix on the
workflow of this system, so it might be a bit muddled in places.  ^.^;;

Anisa.