[drupal-devel] [feature] Usability improvement to forum module

nysus drupal-devel at drupal.org
Sun Mar 27 02:06:21 UTC 2005

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    forum.module
 Category:     feature requests

new patch uploaded

nysus

Previous comments:

March 12, 2005 - 15:24 : nysus

Here's another usability improvement to the forum.  Rather than return
no table when no containers or forums exist, a message is displayed
inside the table telling the user that no containers or forums exist
and how to create a new one.

March 17, 2005 - 13:10 : drumm

+1 for the functionality. -1 for the specific implementation. Other
places in the code use em rather than strong. The colspan attribute
should be used to stretch this row across the whole table.
The instructions on the second line could be a good idea, but should be
hidden if the user does not have permissions to do that action. Do we
want to update other places to do the same thing?

March 17, 2005 - 13:18 : Steven

Not to mention missing t()'s...

March 23, 2005 - 16:25 : Dries

Waiting for a new patch.  Marking this 'active'.

March 24, 2005 - 16:44 : nysus

Revised patch attached.  It addresses problems noted by others in my
original patch.  However, this patch revision does not address drumm's
recommendation to hide the message from anauthorized users.  Unless I'm
mistaken, users without the permission to administer forums will receive
an "Access denied" message and would not see the help message anyway.
Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

March 24, 2005 - 16:51 : nysus

Patch showed up as zero bytes.  I think my Linux box crashed in the
middle of tranferring the file.  I'll reupload when I get it back up.

March 24, 2005 - 20:32 : nysus

OK, let's try uploding this patch again.  On the old clunker machine I
have, even Debian crashes from time to time.