[drupal-devel] [feature] Blog.module as container system

Anonymous drupal-devel at drupal.org
Sun Mar 27 07:43:33 UTC 2005

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    blog.module
 Category:     feature requests

your #2 is covered in my latest comment. #1 is indeed a bug. I will
solve that asap.

Anonymous

Previous comments:

March 24, 2005 - 18:37 : Bèr Kessels

I rewrote blog.module to become a container, something like book
outlines. In these files, there no longer is a blog type node.
With a checkbox (see screenshot) users with the correct permissions can
add any node to their blog.
Feel free to try, also feel free to improve these files, just mail me
if you commit changes.
Please see my sandbox for a complete module and its files:
http://cvs.drupal.org/viewcvs/drupal/contributions/sandbox/ber/blog/

March 24, 2005 - 19:49 : Junyor

Is there a upgrade path for users currently using blog.module?

March 24, 2005 - 20:51 : Bèr Kessels

yes, look at the url pointing to my sandbox. ;)

March 24, 2005 - 21:06 : Junyor

Cool, I'll try to check it out this weekend.

March 24, 2005 - 22:34 : Bèr Kessels

severe update again, not yet committed.
I need your opinion on this. PLease read on and comment.
What I did now is make this a true "blog anything" system. Whyle the
previous (above attached) patch changes the system drastically, it
still only allows you to add items to your blog where you are the
author!
What I did now, is change the behaviour, so that you can blog anything
you can see. If you read something, and its not yet in your blog, you
can hit a "blog this" link, et voila, its in your blog.
However, this might sound cool, but it comes dangerously close to a
bookmark system. So i would like to know if this change is feaible
according to you. If so, I will submit the changes, if not, I will keep
them private.

March 26, 2005 - 16:50 : Junyor

Generally speaking, I like it.  It was easy and fairly intuitive to add
an image node to my blog.
Comments:
1) In the update script, isn't the UPDATE query backwards, i.e.
shouldn't all blog nodes be turning into story nodes and not the other
way around?
2) Should you be able to put a node in two (or more) blogs?  Right now,
if a user has a node in his/her blog and another user goes into admin >
content, the "Add to blog" check box is already checked.  I'd like to
have the ability for two users to put the same node in their blog if
users will be able to put nodes they didn't author into their blog.
Admittedly, that may cause more trouble than it's worth.