[drupal-devel] some drupal stats

Jeremy Andrews jandrews at kerneltrap.org
Thu Mar 31 21:48:31 UTC 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Dries Buytaert wrote:

> I don't have the details at hand here so I'd rather bring it up when I'm
> back in Belgium.  Unfortunately, I guess that is too late now.  In
> short: we got an offer from Google to integrate AdSense support into
> Drupal.  For each Drupal user that signs up with Google and enables
> Google Ads on his or her Drupal site, we would get money from Google.
> Clearly, this is a great opportunity to generate some money.  However,
> the question arises: do we want to go there, and if so, how?

It would be simple enough to write an adsense.module that could be shipped
with the core distribution.  If a Drupal user wants to display adsense ads
on their site, they merely need enable it.  It could feed blocks, and
whatever else makes sense.  I suspect Google would work with whomever
developed this as needed.

I assume Drupal makes money in addition to the site that enables the
adsense functionality?  Is it a flat fee per "adsense subscriber", or a
percentage of the ads they serve?

So long as the Drupal users get to keep their earnings, then there's
nothing to loose and plenty to gain. and nothing to loose.  Anyone not
interested in adsense never need enable way to do it, and Drupal profits
to boot.

-Jeremy