[drupal-devel] MySQL 3, MySQL 4 and MySQL 5

Gerhard Killesreiter killesreiter at physik.uni-freiburg.de
Mon May 2 09:49:54 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2 May 2005, Karoly Negyesi wrote:

> > Do you have experience with using InnoDB? Does it have other
> > (dis)advantages? Should we consider to use InnoDB for some tables?
>
> No. Slow.

I think this is too narrow minded. If InnoDB would give us some usefull
features, we should consider to try using them and do benchmarks. I can
imagine that for some tables being a bit slow isn't a real problem, but
row based locking might be a significant improvement. For example we
could have a "locks" table that looks similar to this:

ID | realm

ID could for example be a node ID and realm would then be "node". Before
updating a node, we lock this nodes row and release it after the update.
No other writes could happen during the update, but other nodes could
still be updated. We could use a similar technique for a myISAM table,
but we would have to lock the whole table and no other nodes could be
updated during the write.

In this case speed does hardly matter since the locks table would only
be accessed during updates.

Cheers,
	Gerhard