[drupal-devel] phptemplate in core?

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Mon May 2 20:58:17 UTC 2005

+1. We're not in the business of dictating which browsers people must
use to access content. The browser market is going to continue to be
volatile for some time and the best we can do is design for the
standards that exist and support whatever is in the best interest of
our audiences, which of course vary per site.

IE7 will certainly have an impact on web development -- though I'm not
sure it will be for the best.

In any case, let's not daddle over which browsers to support in core;
we need something that works out of the box; we can define what that
means later.

The truth of the matter is Drupal is severely showing its age
post-install and this needs to change if we're going to continue to
grow Drupal's following. Appearance, flexibility and experience are
ways to approach this issue.Getting PHPTemplate (or whatever we call
it...) into core will be a step in the right direction. Getting a
theme *like* FriendsElectric into core as the new default theme is
another good step.

Next steps: let's talk about what needs to be done for each of these
steps to happen and who can do what to get it done. I'm working on
themes and UI issues... specifically, SpreadFirefox, Democratica and
Lincoln's Revenge are all being rewritten, hopefully to deal with the
issues that Steven raised. Additionally, I'm going to try to
standardize classes and IDs as much as possible -- per Dries' request.
I could certainly use some help with that -- and I think we'd be
better off discussing those issues now that it seems that we have some
consensus that these things need to happen!

Chris