[drupal-devel] phptemplate in core?

Jeremy Epstein jazepstein at gmail.com
Tue May 3 13:54:18 UTC 2005

FriendsElectric has quite a few bugs, true - but IMO, none of them are
so critical that they make it an unusable theme. Even with its table
rendering problems and its sometimes-weird sidebars, it's still one of
the nicest Drupal themes, as well as the only theme with a tableless
layout that is a candidate for inclusion in core. And it's native to
PHPTemplate.

Someone pointed out that tableless layouts do actually validate as
XHTML. This is true, but is no excuse for using such layouts when you
don't have to. We all know that they're bad for accessibility (screen
readers), portability (browsers in phones), etc.

There are a lot of sites out there that are using Drupal in its
simplest form: as a pure blogging tool. FriendsElectric might not be
the best theme for sites that are 'pushing the limits' of Drupal (e.g.
E-Commerce platform, media hub), but I think that Drupal bloggers
would benefit greatly from having it as a theme in core.

As for maintenance... well, I can see how that alone would stop
FriendsElectric from going into core.

Jaza.