[drupal-devel] PHPTemplate hits core ... finally

Marcus Rueckert darix at web.de
Thu May 5 15:02:24 UTC 2005

On 2005-05-05 10:01:10 +1000, Gordon Heydon wrote:
> Svn suffers from other issues, and AFAIK the it will not allow commits to
> other from one person to be applied by another.
svn diff > patch ?
you can even do patches with new files in it. (cvs add somefile -> you
need write access)
> So in the situation of drupal where we have a few lieutenants that commit
> patches to core, the commits are marked as coming from them, and not the
> original person.
how would this differ from other SCM? it is always the maintainer who
merges the change, who is mentioned as author.
> If you take a distributed source management system like bitkeeper, arch,
> bazaar, git and others you can have the lieutenants commit the patch to the
> core, by getting the change set from the original developer's repository or
> via other means and the history, comments and user data is retained.
SVN can give you both. centralized repository combined with the power
of distributed development. how?
svk.
as mentioned by chris later in the thread.
i currently work on a howto about using svk for drupal development.
i hope i can finish it in the next days to show it here.
even without svk i think svn would be worth the move.
atomic commits. versioned directories. easy tagging, many operations
work offline. much friendly UI. ...
hope this helps
darix