[drupal-devel] [task] Integrate primary links with menu navigation

Dries drupal-devel at drupal.org
Sat May 7 08:48:34 UTC 2005

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      4.6.0
 Component:    theme system
 Category:     tasks

I tried this patch without looking at the code, but it does not seems to
work.  After clicking around for 5 minutes, I found this little note on
the 'global theme settings page':

Navigation settings
You have only one container. The primary items are automatically set to
use that container.
This message is officially nominated for the "most obscure status
message I've seen in months"-award.  No seriously, I've no idea what to
do with this.

1. It took me a while to locate the menu setting (message).  Not the
most intuitive place IMO.
2. The message seems to suggest it uses a default container of some
sort.  (What is is 'container'?  What are 'primary items'?  What has
this to do with 'navigation'?)
3. What does this 'container' contain?  It still see 'edit primary
links' and 'edit secondary links'.
4. No further instructions?  (I don't even have the menu module enabled
so I can spend hours looking for 'containers' and 'primary items'.)

The UI and integration need work IMO.

Dries

Previous comments:

May 7, 2005 - 01:37 : adrian

Here is the first version of the patch that uses the menu system to
generate the primary and secondary navigational links.

The navigation menu should by default be used as the source for the
primary / secondary navigation (currently only in bluemarine, templates
need to be modified to use this functionality).

Furthermore, the css used sucks .. and we will need someone to write
proper default css for us to make it at least presentable in the
absence of theme css.

The navlinks aren't really useful if there are more than 5 links in a
menu, so admin/ looks utterly horrible.

This code is copied and adjusted from Bér's primary links module, and
Adrian Simmons cleaned up the CSS a bit. Bér didn't have any css with
the module, so I had to rip it from his webschuur.com site.

May 7, 2005 - 09:03 : Bèr Kessels

The way I /intended/ to write this, was that the local task CSS would be
used, unless you theme the function. Or unless you provide your own CSS
to override the local task CSS. For this purpose you had -by default-
to wrap the primary links in another span or div, called something like
"main menu".

But we should nto add more primary links CSS in drupal.css. that file
is already way too cluttered an big. We should just have *one* small
chunk of CSS that handles *all* horizontal LIs.

May 7, 2005 - 09:17 : stefan nagtegaal

    <ul id="primary-links">
    </ul>

This makes all themable possibilities possible imo and very easy...
I vote for a markup like this...