[drupal-devel] PHPTemplate hits core ... finally

Eric Scouten drupal.org at ericscouten.com
Sat May 7 17:11:19 UTC 2005

Ber Kessels wrote:

> 2) If ever we move, we should do it good. Thus look for ALL alternatives,
> not just look at SVN, because its the closest at hand.
>
> IMO SVN is nothing more then a revised CVS. ...

Another alternative to consider is the commercial Perforce software
(www.perforce.com). Perforce is industrial-strength -- companies with
several hundred or even thousands of developers (including my employer,
Adobe) use it day in and day out. I have been using it daily since 1998
both at work and at home (I have my own P4 server for web site
development, image management, music storage, among other things) and I
highly recommend it.

Some things I like about Perforce:

* GUI clients for Windows, Solaris, FreeBSD, Mac OS X and Linux
* Command-line clients for just about every platform known to man
* Detailed permissions model
* Sophisticated branching model
* Atomic commits
* No CVS folders splattered across your workspace
* Very efficient use of network bandwidth -- works very well across WANs

This software normally costs several hundred dollars per user, but
Perforce will offer free licenses to open-source software projects. If
interested, I'd be happy to make introductions.

There is a CVS-to-P4 conversion tool (see
http://perforce.com/perforce/loadsupp.html#conv), but I have never had
reason to use it.

-Eric

--
Eric Scouten Photography | www.ericscouten.com (Drupal powered!)
Fine art prints from the world of nature