[drupal-devel] PHPTemplate hits core ... finally

K B kbahey at gmail.com
Sun May 8 00:43:07 UTC 2005

On 5/7/05, Eric Scouten <drupal.org at ericscouten.com> wrote:
> Karoly Negyesi wrote:
> >>This software normally costs several hundred dollars per user, but
> >>Perforce will offer free licenses to open-source software projects. If
> >>interested, I'd be happy to make introductions.
> >

> > And will make they some form of legally binding agreement that they will not
> > stop doing so? Think bitkeeper.
>
> I'd be happy to ask Perforce for such if there's serious interest on our
> part.

Even if they are interested, I think the Linux/Bitkeeper case teaches
all of us a lesson not to depend on the apparent goodwill of companies
providing commerical software, because companies and people change,
and hence this cannot be guaranteed in the future.

The challenge is selecting and converting to one of the other open
source options.