[drupal-devel] Question on valid_input_data()

puregin puregin at puregin.org
Sun May 8 07:53:45 UTC 2005

On 7 May 2005, at 8:13 PM, K B wrote:

> In 4.6 includes/common.inc, in the function valid_input_data(), there
> is a check for various entities. Among these entities, there is a
> check for "style".
>
> http://drupaldocs.org/api/4.6/function/valid_input_data
>
> I use the banner module with text ads, and I use things like:

> This check causes the above to be flagged as a security breach attempt
> and is logged to the watchdog as such.
>
> http://drupal.org/node/20608#comment-29106
>
> My question is: Can the "style" element be used in malicious attacks?
> If yes, then how?

     Hi K B, yes, the style element can be used in attacks.  If an
attacker can
place CSS on your page, arbitrary elements can be moved, or hidden;
images can be replaced, or tiled to completely render the page
useless; images can be used in information leak attempts and
some browsers extend CSS to allow the execution of scripts.

A little Google search for "style element css attack" should yield more
details.

    Regards,     Djun