[drupal-devel] Cleaner Directory structure

K B kbahey at gmail.com
Mon May 9 16:26:59 UTC 2005

On 5/9/05, Karoly Negyesi <karoly at negyesi.net> wrote:
> On Monday 09 May 2005 15:49, K B wrote:
> > Taking it a bit further, we can even ship settings.php.example,  under
> > local/default, with instructions to rename it to settings.php and edit
> > its content.
>
> There is no local/default in my list for a good reason. Did you thought of
> local/sites/default/ ? Or...?

My preference is this: under drupal/local we provide only empty
directories, with only one file:

So we have the following

public_html/.htaccess.example
public_html/index.php
public_html/drupal/core
public_html/drupal/core/modules
public_html/drupal/core/themes
public_html/drupal/local
public_html/drupal/local/modules
public_html/drupal/local/themes
public_html/drupal/local/sites
public_html/drupal/local/sites/default/settings.php.example
public_html/drupal/local/sites/default/modules
public_html/drupal/local/sites/default/themes

Admins are then asked to manually copy the .htaccess.example to
.htaccess, and the settings.php.example to settings.php. Then they
enter the database name, user name and password and the base_url in in
the new settings.php.

Adrian's upcoming install can do these steps, perhaps after checking
that there are no existing .htaccess or settings.php, or renaming them
to .orig if they exist.

Is it any clearer now?