[drupal-devel] Fwd: history-table

neil at civicspacelabs.org neil at civicspacelabs.org
Mon May 9 19:07:42 UTC 2005

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 11:07:12AM +0200, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
> On Mon, 9 May 2005, Adrian Rossouw wrote:
> > On 09 May 2005, at 10:13 AM, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
> > > or do we only start to deliver
> > > the page after _everything_ has been processed?).
> > Bingo.
>
> *bummer*
>
> > There's only one print theme('page'); And at that point everything
> > has already been processed. Except for perhaps the blocks, which get
> > populated within theme_page()
>
> Well, if the blocks would be processed seperately, that would be quite
> some gain. I suppose that for some pages the blocks take up more
> processing time than the main page.
>
> The ideal place for updating the history table would be in hook_exit(),
> but that would cause node.module to be loaded for cached pages.
>
> Alternatively, we could move the call to hook_footer into
> drupal_page_footer(). It does not seem to be used anywhere (added: the
> copyright module uses it). BTW, I'd like to have a hook_header back to
> avoid emitting extra CSS and JS in the _menu hook. I think I can rally
> support for this. :)

Remember that hook_exit() is executed before the headers are sent by a
call to drupal_goto() so it does still take time which is passed on to
the user in some cases. However I don't think that will be an issue in
this case since I think the history table is updated on viewing only and
drupal_goto() happens only on some posts.

-Neil