[drupal-devel] Cleaner Directory structure

K B kbahey at gmail.com
Mon May 9 19:22:00 UTC 2005

On 5/9/05, Karoly Negyesi <karoly at negyesi.net> wrote:
> > public_html/.htaccess.example
> > public_html/index.php
> > public_html/drupal/core
> > public_html/drupal/local
> > Is it any clearer now?
>
> Clear, yes, sensible, not.
>
> If you are doing this, then lose drupal from path, like this:
>
> public_html/.htaccess.example
> public_html/index.php
> public_html/core
> public_html/local
>
> and so on. You can put the whole thing under a subdirectory as you do now.
> What's the point in having a drupal when you already put index.php into / ?
> This means http://mysite will be drupal.

This is the original scheme then, but with the word drupal replaced with core.

So to rephrase what you said:

public_html/.htaccess.example
public_html/index.php
public_html/drupal/
public_html/drupal/includes/
public_html/drupal/modules/
public_html/drupal/themes/
public_html/drupal/misc/
public_html/drupal/doc (contains all the .TXT files)
public_html/local/
public_html/local/sites
public_html/local/sites/default/
public_html/local/sites/default/settings.php.example
public_html/local/modules (contrib modules that are shared for all
sites - empty)
public_html/local/themes (contrib themes that are shared for all sites - empty)

The above is all what we provide, and the site admin can optionally
create a modules and a themes directory under sites/whatever if they
so wish, as they can do today.

So, untarring a drupal dist in public_html can be completely safe
(unless you patched the core, which means you know what you are
doing).

I am personally OK with this provided that core be renamed drupal (as
I did above), but others have expressed concerns about it. I don't
really care either way, as long as we have ONE DIRECTORY THAT NEEDS NO
CHANGES TO ANYTHING UNDER IT.

I volunteer to write the documentation for this also, as per Dries request.

Now, to take this to the next level, I assume that all this is done by
some script that packages Drupal and produces the tarball. Am I right?

Also, some changes are needed in some .inc files to search the
appropriate locations. No?