[drupal-devel] Cleaner Directory structure

K B kbahey at gmail.com
Mon May 9 20:44:57 UTC 2005

On 5/9/05, Karoly Negyesi <karoly at negyesi.net> wrote:
> > So to rephrase what you said:
> >
> > public_html/.htaccess.example
> > public_html/index.php
> > public_html/drupal/
> > public_html/drupal/includes/
>
> What's the point in having one more directory depth?
>
> public_html/.htaccess.example
> public_html/index.php
> public_html/includes/
> public_html/modules/
> public_html/local/
> public_html/local/sites
> public_html/local/sites/default/
> public_html/local/sites/default/settings.php.example
> public_html/local/modules (contrib modules that are shared for all
> sites - empty)

The idea is to avoid clutter in the directory, and isolate drupal core
in its own directory.

Currently the following directories exist for any drupal installation
database/
includes/
misc/
modules/
scripts/
sites/
themes/

sites/ will be moved to the local directory, that leaves the others.
Having them up in the root directory makes it cluttered and prone to
manual errors.

If we move all the non-changing core drupal stuff to its own directory
this makes it clearer and easier for everyone.