[drupal-devel] Fwd: history-table

Gabor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Tue May 10 09:55:36 UTC 2005

> I think a possible "solution" would be to put the updating of the
> history table towards the end of a page request. Currently, the table is
> updated from node_show. If it were updated (with all neccessery node
> views) at the end of the page request, it would probably not be faster,
> but the user experience would be better (or do we only start to deliver
> the page after _everything_ has been processed?).
>
> So, in node_tag_new()  we should only collect the nids in a static array
> and then later on node_tag_new(NULL, 'update') we could execute the
> queries (maybe bunching them together in a more effective way, we also
> do one query per history check in node_last_viewed(), Dries how bad is
> that query?). This could be invoked in node_footer().

We can easily do the updates in one query, since the history dates are
always populated with time() for the complete nids viewed. This would
tremendouly help a printer friendly book view, where multiple nids are
completely displayed on the same page. Other pages might not gain much
from this...

Goba