[drupal-devel] prune tables

Dries Buytaert dries at buytaert.net
Tue May 10 22:05:46 UTC 2005

Would it make sense to change the "Discard watchdog/access log entries
older than" settings to use the number of SQL table rows, rather than
the number of days?

The problem?  Again, at drupal.org, I had these set to "3 days" which I
felt was short enough for the tables not to grow unwieldy.  It wasn't
until this week that I found out -- through extensive profiling -- that
3 days was too long.

The point? Unless you are a Drupal developer, you won't profile your
site.  This means, most users have no clue about how much data is kept
track of, or why their site becomes slower and slower.

The question? How can we make it so that this doesn't happen?  To me,
having an option "Number of records to keep" rather than "Discard
records older than" makes sense, because (i) it gives me control over
the maximum number of table rows (ii) without having to worry about
traffic bursts or a growing number of visitors (the cost is more likely
to be constant over time).  It gives me a clue about the
performance/resource ramifications of certain features.  Having a
similar setting for the sessions- and history-table would make sense
too.

Would this degrade or improve usability?  Suggestions?