[drupal-devel] [feature] AJAX form_autocomplete() field

Junyor drupal-devel at drupal.org
Wed May 11 08:01:47 UTC 2005

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      4.6.0
 Component:    base system
 Category:     feature requests

After typing a number of short terms, I start getting incorrect results.
  It seems mostly to happen with words starting with the letter "b",
oddly enough.

In Opera, the page scrolls when you use arrows to select results.  The
cursor doesn't move to the end of the selected word after you press
Enter.  If the list is open with an item selected and you tab away, the
list doesn't disappear.

I also so some weirdness in Firefox and Opera when using the mouse to
select entries.  Sometimes the drop-down wouldn't disappear.

Junyor

Previous comments:

May 10, 2005 - 16:29 : Thox

As discussed on #drupal, I've created a patch to add an AJAX-based
form_autocomplete() field to the Drupal core.

The documentation of the autocomplete callback remains undocumented.
See http://drupal.org/node/22471 for more details.

May 10, 2005 - 20:18 : Thox

I've created a demonstration page that works in a number of different
browsers:

http://brandedthoughts.co.uk/node/62

May 10, 2005 - 21:50 : Dries

Works on Firefox @ MacOS.

May 11, 2005 - 00:14 : solon

Don't mean to throw a spanner in the works, but I get an error if the
request I type does not match any in the database/ file it is looking
through.
-- Begin Error --
JavaScript
An HTTP error undefined occured.
http://brandedthoughts.co.uk/recipe/ingredient/autocomplete
-- End Error --

Would it be best to have it display an ' informative' error message, or
stop trying to 'guess' if it definately can't find a match?

BTW: I am using Safari 2.0 Mac OsX (you don't say :P )

May 11, 2005 - 01:16 : solon

The error no longer shows, so that issue seems to be fixed (in Safari 2
anyway. As far as I can tell, this is the only browser that it occcured
in).

May 11, 2005 - 01:17 : moshe weitzman

one more nit - pressing escape should ideally caused tghe autocomplete
div to disappear. sometimes it is not wanted.

please submit a patch against HEAD, if possible.