[drupal-devel] install system phase 3: wizard api

vlado vlado at dikini.net
Wed May 11 08:51:30 UTC 2005

> Hey guys. I just had a thought regarding phase 3 of the install system
> (if you don't know what I am talking about, you should probably read
> this: http://drupal.org/node/22472).
>
> A wizard, as I have created it .. is essentially a very simple workflow
> tool.
>
> We want to integrate a workflow engine of some sort into Drupal for 4.7
> do we not anyway? Perhaps it would be more constructive
> for us to focus our energies on that, and let the install wizard be
> driven by a Drupal wide workflow engine?
What do you mean by workflow?

I think a core workflow tool is a good thing, but I would reserve a name
like workflow.module for what the business types mean "workflow
management". Which the current workflow module, while being a good tool,
is not.

In any case all workflows mean some form of automation, by providing a
description of "how a work can possibly done". It will be good to have
such a tool in core, since it can be used for 'visual' scripting for
users not coders. But it is a difficult thing to do right. The hooks
system is practically a workflow kind of system. With a few careful
changes and enhancements it can be used to do the job.