[drupal-devel] filter cache one day expire design rationale?

Dries Buytaert dries at buytaert.net
Thu May 12 16:10:53 UTC 2005

On 12 May 2005, at 11:29, Karoly Negyesi wrote:
> Why check_output caches for one day instead of cache_permanent?

If someone edits a node (or any piece of filtered content), the "old
filtered body" is not automatically pruned from the cache.  Instead,
the "new filtered body" is added and the "old filtered body" is removed
within 24 hours.
Similarly, if a node (or any piece of filtered content) is removed from
the site, its "filtered body" won't be automatically removed from the
cache.  Instead, we take the "lazy yet aggressive yet error-prone
approach" and wipe all filtered text every once in a while.  In
addition, it ensures that we don't keep stale content in the cache
which keeps the cache table ... *cough* ... small.

(I see a quite a lot of filter cache updates on drupal.org though.)