[drupal-devel] Idea - move help text out of code into database

Gabor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Sun May 15 12:00:31 UTC 2005

>     I'm going to re-float here on both lists the idea of having each
> module's help texts provided within the Drupal database, as opposed to
> being hardcoded in.
>
>     Advantages: the help text documentation would be
>        - easier to maintain

Not going to be easier to maintain, since it would be in
database.[my|pg]sql instead of the module files. In fact, it would need
to be in both SQL files.

>        - easier to translate

I don't see your point. Isn't the PO files already easy to translate.

>        - easy to tailor to user's experience level and preferences
>           (tag each helptext with a 'User experience level" vocabulary
>            and select the text according to the user's preferences)

This might be interesting, but is probably easier to do without moving
help text around.

Goba