[drupal-devel] Docking Boxes.

Gerhard Killesreiter killesreiter at physik.uni-freiburg.de
Tue May 17 02:17:42 UTC 2005

On Mon, 16 May 2005, Andre Molnar wrote:

> Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
>
> >>a) Works with all browsers. (At least IE6, Opera, Firefox, Safari,
> >>Konqueror)
> >>b) Degrades nicely.
> >>c) There is real gain from using it.
>   > The order should be c), b), a). I addition, we should decide on a set of
> > browsers which we want to support and simply give the non JS version to
> > all others.
>
> I think for core it needs to be $a && $b && $c;  Anything else is not
> good enough.  If there is going to be fudging on this - let it be done
> in a distro of Drupal and not in core - at least until its $a && $b && $c.

Well, iff a) should be difficult (I _really_ have no idea about if it
could be, I am no JS expert) for one of the less often used browsers
(Opera, Safari, Konqueror) we should decide to not support it in core
and prefer to hava a clean API and clean JS without too many hacks to
achieve compatibility for any of those lesser used browsers. We should
have an API for contrib modules to provide JS for such browsers.
Personally, I'd be happy to not include support for IE in core as well
if it should be difficult to support.

Cheers,
	Gerhard