[drupal-devel] Admin Help writing instructions - 60 patches coming soon

Boris Mann borismann at gmail.com
Tue May 17 06:36:13 UTC 2005

On 16-May-05, at 11:04 PM, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:

>>> b) Different Drupal versions need different docs. How will you show
>>> users a set of docs for each version?
>>>

>> Each version of the module's admin help could point to their own page
>> on Drupal.org.   This might get messy, but I guess that's what
>> content management systems are for :-)
>>

> We still should have a solution for this before the help pages are
> changed.
>
> My revisions patch will make keeping revisioned information through
> Drupal somewhat easier. I think that it would be possible to extend it
> further to also allow for branches. This could help to keep
> documentation for different branches of Drupal up to date.

We've never had versioning for docs before. In fact, what we had was
out-of-date information or no information at all, with no info on
what "version" of Drupal it applied to.

We're building the docs now, and aren't going to wait for development
unless it gets done in the next 2 weeks. Am I particularly happy with
this as a solution? Nope, I'd love to see help texts ship with Drupal
that are completely editable, without the hack of having to use
locale.module to go from English (Drupal) to English (I edited the
help texts). But we're using what's available to us today.

4.6 is likely going to be the first version with decent, fairly
complete documentation because of the efforts of Kieran and the rest
of the Drupal Docs team.

--
Boris Mann
http://www.bmannconsulting.com