[drupal-devel] [bug] Konqueror 3.3.x problems with forms input inside fieldset tags

syscrusher drupal-devel at drupal.org
Wed May 18 22:05:40 UTC 2005

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    node system
 Category:     bug reports

This patch works for me, and is in fact almost identical to my suggested
change. +1, and thanks for moving the commit process one step further
along.

Scott

syscrusher

Previous comments:

February 4, 2005 - 00:33 : syscrusher

Certain versions of the Konqueror browser have a serious problem with
form input in Drupal 4.4.x and 4.5.x. The symptoms are that keyboard
and mouse input is completely ignored in the affected "text" and
"textarea" fields. The symptoms only occur on textual fields that occur
within a <fieldset>...</fieldset> tag set. This occurs, for example,
when the form_group() API function is invoked.

I have tested several variants on the fieldset attributes, and as far
as I can tell it doesn't matter what attributes are applied. I also
tried it with a manually-created <fieldset><input type="text" ...
/></fieldset> sequence, to eliminate the subtags such as legend,
description, and title. The problem occurs even with a bare fieldset,
and immediately goes away when the form elements are used without being
in a fieldset. I further tested to ensure that the <table> tag was not
involved, because a Google search suggested that there were problems
with tables and fieldsets in Konqueror. Again, the problem is
duplicable with no table in the fieldset.

It took a lot of digging, but I have finally traced the problem to the
file misc/drupal.css. Specifically, the following clause appears to be
at fault:
.node-form fieldset {
      display: inline;
}

If I comment out the "display: inline;" attribute, then the fields work
correctly. There does not appear to be any ill effect from this so far,
but I haven't tested extensively nor have I tested to see if this patch
breaks any other browsers.

I can duplicate this problem across several patch levels of Konqueror
3.3.0, and across Drupal 4.5.0 through 4.5.2.

February 4, 2005 - 01:14 : syscrusher

I've verified that the patch doesn't break Firefox 1.0, and also that it
/does/ fix the problem with Konqueror 3.3.0 in Drupal 4.4, on one of my
production sites. Incidentally, the problem doesn't occur with older
Konqueror versions, as far as I can tell.

March 26, 2005 - 14:15 : Steven

I believe that piece of CSS is there for IE5, but I can't remember if it
was for Windows or Mac. I'll do some testing later.

March 26, 2005 - 15:00 : Junyor

Works fine in Safari and Opera with or without that rule.

IE 5 seems to have the same problem with or without it.  In 4.5.2, the
fieldsets aren't displayed at all.  In HEAD, they cross the screen,
pushing everything else down.

In other words, it doesn't seem to have any bad effects on Mac browsers
with or without that rule.

March 26, 2005 - 15:09 : syscrusher

BTW, I can also duplicate this bug with the CVS version of Drupal 4.6 as
of 2005-03-24.

March 27, 2005 - 07:28 : stefan nagtegaal

I can verify that this works flawlesly with drupal 4.6 and any Mac
browser..
It would be nice if this would be applied..

March 27, 2005 - 23:06 : syscrusher

The bug also bit me on the drupal.org site. I finished a new module and
tried to create a project to announce it, but one of the required
fields in the node/add/... page for Project has the CSS bug. I had to
switch to Firefox in order to create the project, because I couldn't
enter the data from Konqueror.

March 28, 2005 - 09:35 : frjo

I had the same problem as syscrusher when I tried to add a new project
with Safari (v125.12). It was not possible to enter anything to the
field "CVS directory". With Mozilla it worked OK.

May 18, 2005 - 14:42 : andremolnar

This is not tested - I'm not a khtml user...  But, I am taking
everyone's word for it that this is what is needed to fix a problem.
Here is a patch that removes the offending declaration.

andre