[drupal-devel] drupal.css, again (still)

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Thu May 19 14:26:35 UTC 2005

On 5/19/05, Bèr Kessels <berdrupal at tiscali.be> wrote:

> so another ule of thumb i would like to put forward:
>
> *if we think we need whitespace in drupal.css it should *alwasy* be 1em and
> never 1px or 0.85em, or other silly things like that.
> Do we all agree on *always* using 1em for whitespace?

I don't understand this rule. When you say "whitespace", what do you
mean? You mean between paragraphs? Fieldsets? Columns? I guess I don't
see how, in leiu of well-planning xhtml, we really need styling of any
kind that a theme can't handle on its own. When you mention standard
book navigation, that argument falls apart if I theme the
theme_book_navigation() function. Why would I want to include inactive
styles in that case?

Additionally, while I am in general in favor of the idea of putting
module styles in modulename/[style|modulename].css, we get enough
complaints about the dirth of stylesheets that Drupal throws at you.
Breaking everything out into separate sheets is good on the backend,
but not on the client side. It seems to me that we need some kind of
basic module CSS compiler that grabs all the sheets from the active
modules and rolls it into one, which gets sent as modules.css. If I
remember correctly, the default install of CivicSpace forces something
like 8 stylesheets down the pipe... and as you add modules, that
number grows. I'm not saying I know the best way to handle this except
that sending a separate sheet for every module is not a viable option.

Those are my thoughts for now -- I'm glad to be having this discussion!

Chris