[drupal-devel] Unit tests in Drupal.

Gerhard Killesreiter killesreiter at physik.uni-freiburg.de
Sat May 21 14:02:41 UTC 2005

On Sat, 21 May 2005, Adrian Rossouw wrote:

> I know there has been some discussion regarding this in the past,
> but I was wondering what it would actually take to get Drupal into a
> state where we take advantage of unit testing.

Moshe made some initial commit somewherein cvs...

> As I have stated before, the most of my time spent maintaining the
> postgres port is spent testing every little thing
> in the system, and anything to automate that would help me, and by
> extension Drupal, immensely.
>
> Any thoughts ?

What I'd look for is some way to actually testdrive Drupal without any
human interaction. I am not sure this is the same as unit tests.

On Drupal.org there is a small hint about using wget for this. Bèr has
made some improvements recently. This way you can actually go to every
link in Drupal and try it without spending much time yourself. You can
look at the error logs afterwards.

Problem: You can't post stuff. We'd need to have a script that puts
stuff into fields and actually posts them. curl is able to do this and I
bet there are scripts around that use it for finding exploits or
whatever.

Cheers,
	Gerhard