[drupal-devel] OpenId-compatible encryption in PHP

Mark mark at nullcraft.org
Sun May 22 18:04:18 UTC 2005

Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:

>On Sat, 21 May 2005, Mark wrote:
>

>>I'm vaguely familiar with many of these technologies, and have even used
>>several of them.
>>SHA1 is natively supported by PHP >= 4.3.0.
>>BASE64 is natively supported by PHP
>>

>Such encodings don't really count.

Well, if SHA1 is required to implement the protocol, then a PHP version
requirement of >= 4.3.0 becomes required to support it (according to
PHP.net docs). This is not a problem for a Drupal 4.6+ implementation.

>>As for RSA and DSA, I know that these key types are supported by
>>OpenSSL.  Is OpenSSL commonly supported in PHP?
>>

>I've checked my installs and they do support it. But they are custom
>builds.
>

>>I know that it's fairly easy to install, but I also realize that
>>many users don't have control over what their server supports.
>>
>>I suppose I'm doing a survey here to see if an OpenSSL requirement is
>>beyond the scope of a Drupal core installation.
>>

>Is there any reason why it _has_ to be on core? Maybe you could re-use
>existing hooks and try some small patches in (if needed)?

No reason in particular.  I'm trying to determine the feasibility of
ever having this in core.  If the requirements for implementing it are
so far out of the way, then I wouldn't even push for it ever going into
core.  Additionally, if I thought it were ever going into core, then I
would seek more consensus on its implementation than I would for a
contrib module.

Thanks,
-Mark