[drupal-devel] OpenId-compatible encryption in PHP

Gerhard Killesreiter killesreiter at physik.uni-freiburg.de
Sun May 22 18:54:05 UTC 2005

On Sun, 22 May 2005, Mark wrote:

> Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 21 May 2005, Mark wrote:
> >>I know that it's fairly easy to install, but I also realize that
> >>many users don't have control over what their server supports.
> >>
> >>I suppose I'm doing a survey here to see if an OpenSSL requirement is
> >>beyond the scope of a Drupal core installation.
> >>

> >Is there any reason why it _has_ to be on core? Maybe you could re-use
> >existing hooks and try some small patches in (if needed)?
>
> No reason in particular.  I'm trying to determine the feasibility of
> ever having this in core.

I am not using the Drupal distributed authentication scheme, but there
have been discussions about making it more secure. There haven't been
many changes to this over the last years. Maybe it would be a good idea
to replace it now.

> If the requirements for implementing it are so far out of the way,
> then I wouldn't even push for it ever going into core.
> Additionally, if I thought it were ever going into core, then I
> would seek more consensus on its implementation than I would for a
> contrib module.

For now I'd check how feasible it is to make it a contrib module. It can
be streamlined and put into core later. The re-worked locale module was
also first a contrib module and put into core later.

Cheers,
	Gerhard