[drupal-devel] PHP string functions overloading for multibyte support

Piotr Szotkowski shot at caltha.pl
Wed May 25 12:21:19 UTC 2005

Hello.

Thanks for your quick reply!

Gabor Hojtsy:

> Piotr Szotkowski:

>> What do you think about the whole idea of forcing this overload on
>> Drupal? Is it feasible and I should pursuit the warning (and any other
>> that follow), or should I simply drop this idea, as it will break Drupal
>> and/or any popular modules anyway?
>
> IMHO one should hunt down and fix the empty haystack errors.

I agree that these warning should be fixed anyway. I'd give them a go
without any hesitation, but I'd like to know whether Drupal is fully
UTF-8-aware and whether UTF-8 support is a requirement for the modules -
i.e., whether my work would be useful in the end.

Adding

php_value mbstring.func_overload 7
php_value mbstring.internal_encoding UTF-8

affects everything just for CiviCRM's use, and if it's known that Drupal
would break (in some non-obvious way, perhaps), or there's a popular
module that could stop working when we're overloading all of the string
manipulating functions under its feet then I'd rather concentrate on
other solutions to my problem...

Please excuse me if my questions are simple and/or obvious,
I'm very new to Drupal developement and even Drupal in general.

Cheers,
-- Shot
--
/* I'd just like to take this moment to point out that C has all the expressive
power of two dixie cups and a string. */    -- Jamie Zawinski's xkeycaps source