[drupal-devel] Question on block creation

Syscrusher scott at 4th.com
Fri May 27 13:17:11 UTC 2005

On Friday 27 May 2005 01:37, Steven Wittens wrote:
> You either use arg() to access individual path components, or $_GET['q']
> for the full path. They always point to the real path, not the aliased path.
>
> e.g. Looking at "articles/drupal" aliased to -> "node/5"
> arg(0) = node
> arg(1) = 5
> $_GET['q'] = node/5
>
> To check if you are on a node page:
> if (arg(0) == 'node' && is_numeric(arg(1))) {
> }
> To check if you are on a node's view tab:
> if (arg(0) == 'node' && is_numeric(arg(1)) && arg(2) == '') {
> }
> (note: the path of the default tab "view" is the that of the parent
> "node/5", not "node/5/view").
>
> Quite simple ;)

Oh, DUH!!! Why didn't I think of $_GET['q'] before?

I'm so used to working with "clean URLs" that I forgot about that GET parameter
lurking under the covers. Thanks for the "whack on the side of the head." :-)

I thought about doing the arg() things you suggest, and I knew it would work,
but I wasn't sure if it was considered the "right" way to do things in Drupal,
in case some future version changes the URL structure.

I'll go with this approach, but I'll make myself a boolean function so that
the "am I in a node?" question is isolated from the rest of my code.

Thanks for the tips. :-)

Scott