[development] Re: [drupal-devel] Forms API documentation update

Kieran Lal kieran at civicspacelabs.org
Fri Nov 11 15:48:16 UTC 2005

On Nov 10, 2005, at 10:26 PM, Angie Byron wrote:

> Hopefully this will prove valuable for people who are struggling a
> bit with the "bigger picture."

A top priority for the Drupal community is training more Drupal
developers.  I hope this diagram will help developers come up to
speed quickly.  I know we have to train at least 400 Drupal
developers who contribute to Drupal CVS and probably several times
that who just write simple custom modules for their personal or
client sites.

This diagram, http://drupal.org/node/37194 , shows the difference
between the old and new models of form processing.  However, the
challenge with the Forms API is not so much understanding the New
Forms API but rewriting an existing form into an abstract model of
creating arrays of value, performing validations, and form
executions.  I am concerned that capable Drupal developers are taking
a long time to understand this shift, which means that casual
developers are probably giving up.

If anyone has ideas how to better explain porting modules (written,
visual, examples, media) your insight would be appreciated.  We have
received really good feedback on the documentation so far, but still
face a high barrier.

Cheers,
Kieran