[development] FYI more drupal.css stuff

Richard Archer drupal.org at juggernaut.com.au
Sun Nov 13 20:10:01 UTC 2005

At 8:30 PM +0100 13/11/05, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:

>Only cached pages are gzipped and I think that mod_gzip is bright enough
>to repsect the gzip header that is sent by Drupal.

On my Apache/2.0.53, PHP/4.3.11 system mod_gzip blindly compresses
anything you send to it. It is not smart at all.

By enabling zlib.output_compression in php.ini and mod_gzip in
Apache you can triple-compress pages being served by Drupal!

>Possibly. There is a "gzip the css" task on drupal.org with some links
>on the topic.

I know... I posted a possible solution to that issue but nobody
has commented on it so I haven't taken it any further.
http://drupal.org/node/11128

Dries also made some comments about a preferred solution in:
http://drupal.org/node/13224

I really think that if bandwidth is an issue the solution is to
merge all the css for your site and serve it gzipped using a
special entry in .htaccess. In which case this would not be an
issue for most site admins... it's an issue for the hosting
company.

Since I run a hosting company and I pay for bandwidth this issue
is on some concern to me. I'll add this task to my todo list,
but it could be a month before I get to actually work on it.

 ...R.