[development] Drupal Enhancement Proposals (DEPs)

Dries Buytaert dries at buytaert.net
Mon Nov 14 23:07:01 UTC 2005

On 14 Nov 2005, at 20:46, Ber Kessels wrote:
> It is what got that form API in. It is what holds back Those Big
> Issues from leveraging from yadiyadia level to Real Code Level,
> think drupal.css, think taxonomy.module cleanup, think CCK ideals,
> think install API. etcetc.

Erm, the CCK plans are pretty well documented.  They have been for
about a year.  Similarly, the install API has been documented too.
Your examples show that central documentation is no guarantee for
success (however they are often a necessary step).

> I firmly beleive we reached a level where we can no longer deal
> with Big Changes, unless we form subgroups. Which, again, is what I
> got, this is all about. I hope so in any way.

I firmly believe in people organizing themselves, and empowering them
to do so.  I do not believe in forcing people to write proposals.
There are much larger projects than Jabber, Xaraya, PEAR or Python
that are known to be successful without having proposals.  Two random
examples are the Linux kernel and KDE.

Feel free to write a proposal for the drupal.css or taxonomy.module
clean up, or to get consensus before you start writing code.  I'm
cool with that.  It's just not mandatory.