[development] Introduction

Richard Archer drupal.org at juggernaut.com.au
Tue Nov 15 03:29:26 UTC 2005

Greetings,

I've been hanging around for a couple of months now, but I recently
had a CVS account approved so a more formal introduction is called
for, I believe.

My background is in network and unix system management. I have
some rusty skills in SunOS, Solaris, AIX and Cisco IOS and current
Linux skills. I have also done quite a bit of programming over the
years in all sorts of languages, but mostly in MC68000 assembly, C,
Perl, PHP and I guess shell script qualifies too. I can find my way
around most programming languages and operating systems.

I'm self-employed, running a one-man show, although I contract work
out occasionally when I get very busy. The core of my business has
been building and hosting static sites with the occasional shopping
cart system or basic CMS interface. This side of the business is
slowly drying up though, as everyone wants to be able to build and
update their own sites through a proper CMS.

So I intend to begin offering a CMS-based hosting package within
the next year. This is (funnily enough) going to be Drupal-based.

When working on Drupal my focus will be on core features that I
need in order to meet the requirements of my customers or to make
my life as service provider easier. Things like primary links,
which almost every site has to have, enhancements to the menu
system, better themability and ease-of-use of the admin interface.

I will also be helping Matteo with maintaining the Inline module.
Support for images is sadly lacking in Drupal, and I think Inline
forms a very nice, simple foundation for allowing images to be
easily placed into pages.

 ...Richard.