[development] new sorting.module

Robert Garrigós Castro robert at garrigos.org
Wed Nov 16 23:10:53 UTC 2005

Thank you, Moshe. I wasn't aware of those issues. I was looking for
sorting features, not weighting.

In the case of the weight.module (http://drupal.org/node/35984): I like
the idea of not having to patch the core, but for what I can see, this
weight.module will not sort nodes alphabetically, which is the only
reason of sorting.module. In any case this module is not working with
4.6.3 nor with head.

As per http://drupal.org/node/5738: this is patching the core a lot,
changing database ('sticky' field to 'weight' field) and doesn't sort
alphabetically either.

Thus, for what I can see, it would be impossible to sort nodes
alphabetically without patching the core. Now the question is if you
think this is important enough to go on to patching the core. I think it
pays off. In that case, which is the best approach? Is my approach
something I could carry on? This sorting.module is just working for my
site right now but it would need some more work to take it to a release
state. That's why I'm asking the core developers if it will pay off to
work on this AND if there was something there to work on, that I was
missing, which you already answered.

Robert G.