[development] SCM tools

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Fri Nov 18 08:58:35 UTC 2005

Gordon,

I love Darcs, unfortunately had no chance to test it in a larger developer
environment yet.

But in any case: darcs was designed *exactly* for developer communities and
workflows like Drupal has. Not like svn that noly fixes the mayor annoyences
of an ancient RCS. Darcs has no frontends, but who cares :) zwe dont even
ship with an install frontend, so should we care about developer frontends?

Thank you, Gordon for getting this going!

Ber

Op vrijdag 18 november 2005 00:48, schreef Gordon Heydon:
> Hi,
>
> With all this talk about different scm's. I have been using darcs
> (darcs.net) and I use it for a number of projects.
>
> Basically darcs is a distributed similar to bzr or git. I find that it
> works well, and has a number of features that I like, such as patch
> picking (means you can select which patches you take) and when you are
> recording a change set you can pick what changes are going to be
> included into the patch.
>
> Using tailor I have gone one step further and I have set up a darcs
> drupal repository which people can download from. To get the cvs version
> of drupal you can execute the following command.
>
> darcs get --partial http://repos.heydon.com.au/drupal
>
> this will get the latest version of the drupal repository.
>
> I have set it up so this repository will be synced with the drupal cvs
> repository every 6 hours.
>
> To update you local repository you just do the following in the drupal
> directory
>
> darcs pull -a
>
> and it will download all the new patches that have been applied.
>
> When you have made changes to your copy of drupal you can then do a
>
> darcs whatsnew
>
> and it will show you all the changes, and to record these use the
> following
>
> darcs record
>
> and you can then choose which changes will be included in the patch.
>
> I also have the web frontend going which can be gotten to at the
> following.
>
> http://repos.heydon.com.au/darcsweb/darcsweb.cgi?r=drupal;a=summary
>
> which is a little ugly at the moment as tailor doesn't really look that
> nice. There is also some problem ATM with the web frontend, but I think
> this is because of the version of python or something that dreamhost has
> done to python.
>
> Let me know what you think.
> Gordon.
 Bèr