defined audience (Re: [development] Encouraging Collaboration)

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Fri Nov 18 16:54:37 UTC 2005

Op vrijdag 18 november 2005 17:43, schreef Dan Robinson:
>  I think that there needs to be a better definition of who
> this product is for - is it for the people who spend most of their time
> developing/contributing to it?

One of the reasons Ruby on rails does so well, is because it has this VERY
well defined. Thus they have a very targeted audience. We dont have this,
which in some way is cool, but on the flipside makes it impossible to get
Drupal "just right".

A result of not being able to say: 'this is for Charlie, not for Joe' is that
we can cater neither Charly nor Joe. And both are then annoyed in some way
(Joe wants an online installer, Charlie wants a clean development platform,
without all these options and unneeded bloat)
And another result is these endless usabilty nitpickyish discussions; whether
Foo should be called Bar, whether it should be an option, or rather a theme
function etcetc.

I, for myself, made a choice. For me, drupal is a Development platform. My
modules will no longer 'just work'. All modules I develop from now on, will
need some theming, some menu fiddling and maybe even some PHP blocks and/or
pages, to be full featured.

 Bèr
--
| Bèr Kessels | webschuur.com | website development |
| http://bler.webschuur.com | http://www.webschuur.com |