[development] SCM tools

larry at garfieldtech.com larry at garfieldtech.com
Fri Nov 18 16:55:38 UTC 2005

> Op vrijdag 18 november 2005 15:30, schreef Khalid B:
>> You mean it has no GUI?
>>
>> I guess that is not a major setback.  The people used to Tortoise CVS,
>> WinCVS or Eclipse will see that now they have to write commands and
>> options though ...
>
> Neither do I. CVS (and SVN) are in essense so complex that they need GUI
> tools
> to help folks around.
>
> I beleive that darcs is so easy to learn (anyone can copy paste some
> commands,
> not?) that it needs no GUI. But then again, I am used to the commandline.
> click-kiddies might not agree.

Being a *nix guy I use the command line version of CVS or SVN anyway.  I
find it easier than the GUIs. :-)  I am in the minority, however, and I
know that.

Another point in SVN's favor is that it's conceptually the same as CVS.
Any brain-space our current developers have devoted to the CVS modus
operandi will translate to SVN very easily.  I don't know that you can say
the same for any of the distributed managers.

That applies to new developers, too.  Some random would-be developer who
wants to get started is far far more likely to know, understand, and
already have installed CVS or SVN than darcs, git, or whatever.  That
should be a consideration, too.

--Larry Garfield